Monday, May 12, 2008

How the first 3 seconds changed my life...

I saw this somewhere online (ok fine, I googled it, but lets move on, please)It takes just a quick glance, maybe three seconds, for someone to evaluate you when you meet for the first time. In this short time, the other person forms an opinion about you based on your appearance, your body language, your demeanor, your mannerisms, and how you are dressed.
These first impression can be nearly impossible to reverse or undo, making those first encounters extremely important, for they set the tone for the all the relationships that follows.
Amazing, right? If I'd let first impressions "set the tone", the unrulies as we know them would not exist today.

  • "The Small One": Wacky, Warm, Big-hearted, Kinda Odd, but definitely cool, and that was just the FIRST second. Not a lot has changed, but I keep adding to the laundry list of attributes that make this one a force to reckon with. I can think of LOTS of things the saying "Big things come in little packages" DON'T gel with (let's not go there just yet), but this one proves me wrong. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Wasn't on the first bus ride, but after ditching the ones who made the trip dry as dust for the first day, it was certainly fate, destiny, kismet, or whatever u want to call it. A long trip to see an ugly monument, a daring ride, and many other tales later, we're here. And it's utterly unruly.
  • "The Cute One": The first 3 seconds were in '05, I saw him chilling with a drink, and talking very little. Way cute, I thought, and I ticked the "sorta smart" box in my brain after I heard him speak. Not bad...but nothing to write home about. Eye candy, lets leave it at that. Fast forward a few years and he looked good in orange, then he looked good in green. Then he went on sale, but I couldn't afford him. I pegged him as being shady and in cahoots with a certain henchman. Then came the bus ride to a certain resort where, during several roundtable discussions, I saw that the first 3 seconds weren't quite right. Eye Candy, sure, but smart, too, real, and with a heart of gold. An unlikely pick, but so worth it.
  • "The Unlikely One": The first 3 seconds after meeting THIS one?? Well, I thought, reserved, calm, intellectual. Only one of those still stands today. A mouth that with one side, spouts wisdom, cool information, and hilarious stories, and with the other side spills out a stream of curse words, "area" phrases and opinions that'd make ur ears curl. It's a combination that I'm yet to find and accept in many others. At first glance, u may not think much, but that which brims under the surface is so much more. You let that first 3 seconds be your opinion?? Your loss.
  • "The Smiley One": Well, we go waaay back, but were never too close. I like to think the unrulies have given us a wonderful, stronger bond. The first 3 seconds saw me develop the usual misconception: Quiet, mellow, goody goody. Boy, was I wrong about that!!! A laugh from the belly that u can't help joining in with, a mischievous spirit, and a complete sweetheart that u just can't help but love. The bus ride was chill, but the events that unfolded afterwards? Well, a lil' bit of Irish Cream should never be underestimated.
  • "The Raucuous One": the first 3 seconds: Well, I wasn't too sure there was much sanity with THIS one. That opinion hasn't changed, but in addition, there's a sweet side and a lot of untapped talent that I can't WAIT to see grow. A late addition to the unrulies, but a welcome one indeed.
  • "The Preppy One": We go back as "patnas in crime" too, and the first 3 seconds of our meeting, I thought: a bit uppity, but chill. Never thought we'd be where we were today. A chance meeting and mainland handicapped-ness set things in motion, and the trip didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it was fun to see how other people reacted to what "WE" think is normal. Ah, well, they all can't be like us!!
  • "The Special One": I don't know that I have the rght words to describe this one. In the first 3 seconds I saw an aggressive, arrogant and incredibly flirtatious human being in a very surprising package. That still stands, but again, there is so much more underneath that "pose". A person that would do anything for a friend, and goes to the limit for them, that never hesitates to make u feel loved without asking for anything in return is what I've discovered. Enthusiam, Energy, Largesse and Generosity of Spirit are just a few of my favorite things about this particular unruly...the most unruly of us all!

  • "The Snobby One": Often seen as high-falutin', snobbish and sarcastic, I go back with this one a loooooong way back as well. The opinion may be right, depending on what mood U meet this unruly one in. Woe betide u if you get on the wrong side, but u'll only need that warning once.

So maybe we shouldn't let First Impressions govern the way we make friends. I dug deeper, and I'm the better for it.

No comments: